In the past, eggs were advertised as bad due to the high levels of cholesterol in them. Hence, a lot of doctors and medical experts advised against eating eggs because of the damaging effect the high levels of cholesterol can have on the health. However, nowadays, we all know that this was just a common misconception blown out of proportion. In fact, eggs are one of the few perfect foods for our health, i.e. they’re rich in protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants! Amazing, right?
THE BENEFITS OF EGGS
Doctors suggest eating 2 to 3 eggs daily to better our overall health. This is because eggs have an abundance of health benefits. We’ve made a list of the best ones below:
- Lower the risk of cancer- according to a study published in the journal Breast Cancer Research, eating eggs on a daily basis can lower the risk of breast cancer by 18%! Namely, eggs have amino acids, minerals, and vitamins that will stabilize the estrogen levels that can sometimes be the main cause of breast cancer.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease- eggs have 40 grams of good cholesterol that can prevent a variety of heart diseases. In the past, experts thought that eggs increase the levels of cholesterol, but, this is wrong, i.e. our body regulates its own levels of cholesterol and most of the cholesterol is produced by the body itself. The richness in omega-3 fatty acids in eggs can decrease the levels of triglycerides and prevent cardiovascular problems.
- Better the eyesight- eggs are rich in lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin A which improve the eyesight significantly. Vitamin A is necessary for seeing in the dark whereas lutein and zeaxanthin are potent antioxidants that can prevent radical damage and eyesight problems by strengthening the vision.
- Protect the brain- choline is an important substance present in eggs and it’s pivotal for the brain. This is a neurotransmitter which sends stimuli to the brain and nervous system and when its levels are low, the memory and brain function are negatively affected.
- Slow down the process of aging- a study done in Germany showed that eating eggs on a regular basis can stop the aging process and prevent skin cancer. This is because they have organic pigments like carotenoids that slow down the process of aging. To benefit the most from eggs, eat them boiled.
- Decrease the risk of birth defects– eggs have 0.7 mcg. Of folic acid which is vital for pregnant women because it lowers the risk of birth defects and prevents damage to the nervous system of the embryo.
- Support the health of the skin, hair, and liver- the yolk of eggs has protein and sulfur which have the power to revitalize dull and weak hair and better the quality of the skin. Lecithin, another substance in eggs, helps the liver in the detox process and it also betters the digestion.
- Encourages weight loss- eggs can satisfy cravings and reduce your appetite which will result in a successful weight loss.
- Keep the bones healthy- eggs have calcium and vitamin D which are essential nutrients for the teeth and bones. Studies point out that these 2 substances work together to keep the metabolic processes in the bones steady. The vitamin D in eggs, which we mostly get through the sun, is necessary for a long list of bodily processes.
All in all, eggs are definitely one of the healthiest foods in the world and they cannot harm your health, as it was thought in the past. They have nutrients that can regulate an array of body processes and better the overall health.
IMPORTANT TO NOTE:
If you suffer from diabetes or heart problems, you shouldn’t eat more than 3 eggs per week.