Nowadays, many people worldwide use energy efficient bulbs in order to save both money and energy. They are supposed to be eco-friendly bulbs. Nevertheless, experts claim that these supposedly eco-friendly bulbs are in fact very toxic and detrimental to our overall health. Moreover, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency created an emergency protocol in case of a bulb breakage because of the harmful gas being released.
The Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute conducted a study which discovered that this gas emits 20 times more the allowed amount of mercury. As a result of that, these energy-saving bulbs cause migraines, seizures, fatigue, lack of concentration, dizziness and anxiety.
Beside that, there are some other serious reasons why you should need to switch back to incandescent or led lights:
Excessive amount of mercury
If you didn’t know, mercury is actually a neurotoxin that has an adverse affects to everyone, but especially for pregnant women and children. The reason why you need to get rid of them for good is because they have the ability to harm the brain, nervous system, liver, kidnyes, but they can also cause cancer, tremors, Alzheimer’s, anxiety, insomnia and memory loss.
The Berlin Germany’s Alab laboratory conducted a study which showed that the energy-efficient bulbs are filled with cancer-causing chemicals like styrene, phenol, and naphthalene.
UV-C and UV-B radiation is emited by these bulbs which is extremely harmful to our skin and eyes. Furthermore, this radiation also has negative effects on our immune system and prevent the formation of vitamin D3.
If you find yourself in a situation where this kind of bulb breaks, you need to open all windows and doors and evacuate the house within 15 minutes. In order to be safe and stay healthy, get rid of these bulbs and instead use LED bulbs which are still available on the market.