People in India have been using yoga for over 5000 years now, which is why they live healthier and happier lives. Nowadays, yoga is popular all over the world and people usually use it to find inner peace and to help them with different health conditions from mental to physical.
It should be mentioned that each yoga pose has specific benefits for the body which is why it can treat different ailments from depression and anxiety, to adrenal fatigue and back pain. However, there is a certain yoga pose that is not very popular among people, but many who use it consider it to be vital for overall health.
Traditional yoga texts refer to the Fish Pose as the “Destroyer of All Diseases” since it is able to restore the spinal health and as a result it will lead to a better physical and perhaps even emotional health.
The Fish Pose – “Destroyer of All Diseases”
People who suffer from constipation, backache, respiratory issues, fatigue and anxiety should use this pose since it stretches the muscles of the stomach, the front and the back of the neck, between the ribs, and upper back. This is the reason why it is considered as therapeutic.
Even though this pose is not for the beginner students, it can still be adjusted for students of all levels.
The best solution for people who work in today’s modern desk jobs is this pose since it helps to open the shoulders and promotes restoration and flexibility of the upper part of the body. As you all know, this part of the body often gets stiffed from sitting too long in a cubicle or staring at phone screens.
Step-By-Step Process to Fish Pose
- In order to perform this pose, you need to lie on your back with your knees bent and feet on the floor. However, the advanced students should keep their legs straight with the toes pointing to the ceiling.
- Lift your pelvis off the floor while placing your hands under the buttocks with palms facing down. You should rest your buttocks on your hands.
- Next, tuck your forearms and elbows to the sides of your body.
- Press your forearms and elbows into the floor while inhaling and then lift your upper body and head in order to make an arch.
- After that, you are supposed to place your head back on the floor, and either the back of the head or the crown will touch the floor, depending on the depth of the arch. In order to avoid hurting your neck, you should place minimal weight on your head.
- Stay in this position for 15 to 30 seconds, exhale and lower your head and torso on the floor.
To modify the pose to an easier level:
- Use a thick rolled blanket to support the back
- Your head and throat should rest comfortably
- Lower your chest towards the floor
- Use a thick folded blanket under your head
To modify the pose to a higher level:
If you want to modify the pose to a higher level, you should bring your arms into Salutation Seal with your fingers pointing to the ceiling and then start with legs straight on the floor, lift them to a 45 degree angle and stay in that position for 15 to 30 seconds.
WARNING: People who are dealing with insomnia, sreious neck or back injury, have blood pressure issues and migraines should not use this yoga pose. Make sure to consult your doctor before trying.
Watch how the Fish Pose is done: