In 1930 the Mars company presented their most popular chocolate product called Snickers and today they earn 2 million dollars every year from its sale worldwide.
In the UK, in 2004, the Food and Drink Federation created a manifesto which included 7 pledge of action, requesting the food and drink industry to reduce portions sizes, clearly label ingredients and nutritional information, and reduce the levels of fat, salt and sugar in their products.
The Mars company pledged to replace the King Size Snickers bar in the UK, with a shareable size bar by 2005. King Size Snickers bars are still being sold in the US and sadly they still contain the large amounts of fat, salt and sugar as well as some other questionable ingredients.
What are the Snickers bar ingredients?
The following ingredients are all contained in Snickers bar: cocoa butter, skim milk, corn syrup, milk fat, artificial flavor, sugar, milk chocolate, peanuts, salt, egg whites, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, soy lecithin and lactose.
As you can see, snickers contains some ingredients like eggs, nuts and dairy from which many people develop allergic reactions, but there are also some other hidden dangers amongst these ingredients.
Snickers bar Nutritional information
- Serving size: 2oz
- Calories: 266
- Calories from fat: 98
- Cholesterol: 8mg
- Sodium: 130mg
- Carbohydrates: 37g
- Sugar: 28g
Sugar and corn sugar (high fructose corn syrup)
One experiment conducted on rats which were fed with HFCS showed that they gained 300% more fat than the rats that were fed with regular sugar or sugar from fruits. Moreover, it also causes LDL (bad) cholesterol in the blood, thus causing plague build up which leads to several health conditions such as: stroke, hypertension and heart disease. HFCS is processed through our liver, gallbladder and kidneys, and as a result it causes fatty liver. Furthermore, this type of scarring of the liver reduces its ability to process out toxins that build up in our body and make us sick. The worst part is that HFCS is high in Mercury levels and too much exposure can result in damage in the nervous system and in irrevitable brain.
Soybean Oil/Soy Lecithin
- People should avoid soybean oil or soy lecithin since soy contains high levels of phytoestrogen which are plant based estrogen that mimic the estrogen in our body, and the consumption of high amounts of it can cause infertility, low libido, uterine fibroids, breast cancer and endometriosis.
- 93% of Soy is GMO ( genetically modified)
- Partially hydrogenated soybean oil
- Trypsin inhibitors, also found in soy inhibit proper digestion of protein.
- GMO soybean oil causes, diabetes, fatty liver, diabetes, and obesity.
- Soy is also the king of cell Goitrogens (thyroid suppressors).
- Avoid GMO soybean oil which is an unnatural man made fat and it causes cellular dysfunction that leads to decreased levels of good cholesterol, increased levels of bad cholseterol, heart disease, bone degeneration, asthma, obesity, diabetes, cancer, autoimmune disease, reduces immune function, creates reproductive problems and causes interference with our body’s ability to utilize omega-3 fats.
- Phytlates which is found in soy blocks the absorption of minerals.
The next time you want to buy snickers, you should think twice about all the negative effects it can cause and you will probably change your mind.