Ear infection is caused by bacteria or viruses in the middle ear and children are more affected than adults. The most common symptoms for an ear infection are: headache, pain In the ear, poor response to sounds, vomiting, diarrhea, fluid draining, difficulty sleeping, high fever, etc.
The ear is made up of three parts: outer, middle and inner.
Each part of the ear has specific functions that help a person hear, and each of them can get an ear infection. The most serious ear infection is the one that affects the inner ear. Ear infections must be treated as soon as possible because there are some complications that can occur such as: damaging or rupturing the ear drum. This can lead to chronic recurrence and can even cause deafness. It is very important to consult a doctor, but there are some natural remedies for immediate relief. There are easy home remedies that you can try to treat the ear infection and get rid of the pain.
We have selected the top 10 remedies for ear infection
The most available home remedy is salt.
- First of all, heat up one cup of salt on a pan over low heat for several minutes. You can also heat it in a microwave or double-boiler.
- Place the hot salt on a cloth and seal the open end.
- Put the warm salt on the ear for 5 to 10 minutes.
- You can repeat this as many times as you need during the day. The heat helps draw out fluid from the ear and stops swelling and pain.
Instead of salt, you can also use one cup of rice.
Garlic is very beneficial for numerous health conditions, so an ear infection is not an exception and you can use it in several ways.
- Take 2 garlic cloves and cook them in 2 tablespoons of sesame oil or mustard oil until it turns blackish. Next, strain the solution, and when it’s warm, use 2-4 drops of this oil in the infected ear as ear drops.
- Another alternative is to boil 2-3 fresh garlic cloves in water for 5 minutes, crush them and add some salt. Place the mixture in a clean cloth and place it against the affected ear.
- Consuming two to three cloves of raw garlic daily also helps speed up the healing process.
Basil reduces infections and stops pain.
- All you have to do is to extract juice from 5 fresh basil leaves and put the juice around the ear. Make sure not to get juice inside the ear.
- Another solution is to mix several drops of holy basil oil with an equal amount of carrier oil like coconut oil. After that, soak a cotton ball in the solution and gently wipe just inside the ear, around the outer edge and behind the ear. Repeat the process twice daily.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If the ear infection is caused by fungus, the best solution is apple cider vinegar.
- Prepare a mixture with an equal amounts of ACV and water or alcohol. Soak a cotton ball in the solution.
- Put the cotton ball in your ear like a plug and leave it for about five minutes.
- Then, remove the cotton ball and lay down on your opposite side in order to drain the liquid from the ear. Use a hair dryer to dry your ear as much as possible.
- Olive Oil
Sometimes, Eustachian tubes get blocked with wax inside the ear and the best solution to clear it is by using olive oil.
- Warm some olive oil. Put a few drops of the warm oil into the infected ear.
- The wax will then soften. Remove the infected wax.
- You can also use mustard oil in the same way as olive oil.
- Warm Water Bottle
Use warm water bottle in order to quickly relieve some of the pain and it will also help you prevent micro-organism infestation.
- First, place warm water bottle or heating pad aginst the ear.
- Another alternative is to use a warm compress. You just have to dip a clean washcloth in lukewarm water, ring out the excess water and then place washcloth on the infected ear.
- Do not put heat too long. Start with five minutes, then remove it. Wait for a while and you put it again
Onions can also be used in the treatment of an ear infection.
- Chop an onion and put it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Leave it to cool and strain out the onion juice. Put two to three drops of the juice in the infected ear, leave it for sometime and then turn your head to let it drain out of your ear.
- Another solution is to bake an onion for half an hour, cut it into halves and put one half in a thick cotton cloth. Place the cloth on the infected ear for five minutes. Wait for 10 minutes and then repeat the process.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains antibacterial properties that will give you an instant relief from earache.
- Prepare a mixture with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 3 drops of tea tree oil and a teaspoon of colloidal silver and a teaspoon of ACV. Warm the mixture a little bit.
- Next, pour some of the mixture into the ear and leave it for 5 minutes. Then turn and lay on your other side so that the mixture drains out of your ear completely.
- Repeat this two to three times a day for two days.
- Mango Leaf Juice
Mango leaf extract is a quick and effective treatment.
- First, crush or grind 2-3 soft mango leaves in order to extract the juice and then slightly warm it.
- Use a dropper to put 3-4 drops of the juice into the infected ear. You will feel relief from the pain within a few minutes.
- Follow this remedy two to three times a day for full relief from ear infection.
- Breast Milk
Breast milk is an amazing natural remedy for an ear infection as it contains natural antibodies that can help speed up the healing process of any kind of ear infection. It will alleviate swelling and discomfort and can get rid of an ear infection within one or two days. You can use this remedy for both children and adults.
- Put a few drops of breast milk into the affected ear.
- Repeat the process every few hours as needed.
- Moreover, breast milk can be used to treat minor ear infections as well. You should seek a medical attention if there is no impovement within a couple of days.