In this article, we’re going to discuss about the nails, and before we start with it, you should be aware that your nails are a very important part of our body. They can discover symptoms of numerous diseases, including cancer!
Here, we’re going to discuss about something called lunula which isn’t very familiar among people.
That’s actually the crescent-shaped whitish area at the end of a fingernail.
It isn’t just an area of pigment change under the nails, but it is a highly sensitive area and everyone has to make sure it doesn’t get damaged.
Here, we’re presenting you 10 facts you should know about the lunula:
1. The crescent-shaped whitish area of our fingernail, which the eye perceives as white crescent is very sensitive and extremely important part of the structure of the nail! You should be very careful and never damage this part of your nails.
2. This half-moon part is called the lunula (small moon in Latin) and it’s a very sensitive part of your nails.
3. It looks white, because is the fifth basal layer of the epidermis and it actually “hides” the blood vessels that are underneath.
4. It’s the most visible on the thumb, but there are also people whose lunula isn’t visible. In some cases, the eponychium, the thickened layer of skin surrounding your nails and toenails, may partially or completely cover the lunula.
5. The lunula is the visible part of the nail’s root and should not be damaged in any way because if you damage it your entire nail will be permanently deformed.
6. According to numerous experts, the lunula can reveal some very important information about our overall health. For example, according to traditional Chinese medicine, a lack of lunula indicates anemia and malnutrition while a pale or bluish lunula indicates possible diabetes. If a person’s lunula has reddish smudges, then he or she may be suffering from cardiovascular diseases.
7. A lack of lunula or a really small lunula usually indicates indigestion which appears because of a slow metabolism and toxin overload in the body.
8. The best thing for you would be to have 8 to 10 lunulas on your nails on both of your hands. As for the shape, it should take an area of one fifth of the fingernail. It should be in the color of ivory. The whiter, the better, and indicates the person is stronger.
9. The normal fingernails should be ruddy, restrained, tough, arc-shaped, smooth and glossy with clear lunula which tells whether the person is energetic and healthy. The more energetic a person is, the whiter the lunula is. In other cases, the lunula is poor and vague.
10. In general, the lunula takes an area of about one fifth of the fingernail and has the clear edge. It usually tells the disease of a person in the form of color change or disappearing crescent. After the person regains the health from regulation, the little moon will gradually appear again. The less lunula a person has, the lower energy and poorer health and immunity he/she has, so it’s more likely for he/she to feel tired. If the lunula only appears on the thumbs, then the physical energy of that person is insufficient and the disease is about to come.